8/31/08

The first of many

Close your eyes and hold your breath and always trust your cape. ~ Kathy Mattea

Okay, this whole blogging thing is pretty new to me, so I’m just going to write today. Then I’m just going to write tomorrow and then I’m just going to write the day after that. I’m just going to keep going until it doesn’t scare me anymore. If you want to join me for a day on the farm you’re in the right place.

Let’s see… what’s new today? Well, my boys (Mason, 10 and Max, 7) are off with grandma and grandpa for a day at the Oregon State Fair. I told them to take lots of pictures of Babydoll Southdown sheep and Nigerian Dwarf goats. It’s always good to have plenty of inspiration for the next “Lucy project.”

All the critters are doing well. The chickens are laying like crazy, although I have a sneaking suspicion that one of my “hens” is a rooster. I’m keeping my ears open and if I hear any crowing he’s in big trouble.

I still haven’t figured out the perfect “barn name” for Ristella, my haflinger mare. Names are a very, very big deal around here and not to be taken lightly. I’m kind of going with a blonde theme for the haffie girls. Some of the names I’m kicking around are, Diva, Drama Queen, Grace Kelly, Paris, Vanna and Tink. Any suggestions in keeping with the theme would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, the new haffie mare and filly will be arriving around the 6th of September. I think the baby’s name is Gidget, but I haven’t settled on a name for the mama.

Clarice the Wonder Goat went to a new home yesterday at my friend Wendy’s house. She has the cutest little goatie that needed a friend and Clarice was a perfect way for me to say thank you to my wonderful friend for helping me with this blog and my website.

Now we’re down to just the Nigerian Dwarfs. There’s mama goat (also still waiting for the perfect name) and her triplets. In October our new little buckling will arrive. So will mama goat’s babies. It’ll be a big month around here!

As far as the garden, well, that’s another matter all together. I have such beautiful visions of what my garden should look like. So far, not so good. Kind of went at it haphazardly this year, with the help of my excellent friend and fellow “Lucy”, Davi. I’m already planning for next year, so hopefully I’ll have better luck.

Oh, before I forget, today is my 15th anniversary. God bless my sweet and patient husband who accepts (even if he doesn’t really get it) that a baby goat is a perfect anniversary present. Past anniversary presents have included miniature donkeys and tack. Jewelry is nice, but it’s not fuzzy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to let me know your thoughts!